Monday 11 April 2011

My Top 5 Film's

My girlfriend asked me this morning the one question I always fear. What is your favorite film? The reason I fear this question so much is because it always changes. I have a new favorite film every week. I have managed to narrow it down to 5 though. I should point out however these films are in no particular order.

1. The Warriors
The Warriors

The Warriors was released in 1979. Directed by Walter Hill and starring Michael Beck and James Remar.

The Warriors tells the story of The Warriors gang who are framed of killing a rival gang's leader. Stuck on the wrong side of New York, The Warriors have to make it home battling the police, rival gangs and themselves.

This was my favorite film for a long time. I first watched it with my dad and when he told me what it was about I thought oh... isn't there anything else we can watch, but after watching it, I fell in love with this film. The one liners, the action and even the music.

I've just finished watching this film as I wrote this and it is still as good as ever. It is one of the rare films that I can watch over and over again. I think I actually watched 4 times in a row one night
when I was home all alone.



Halloween

2. Halloween

Halloween was released in 1978. Directed by John Carpenter and starring Donald Pleasence and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Halloween tells the story of a group of young babysitters stalked on Halloween night by a crazed masked killer.

I first saw Halloween at college. I was already a huge John Carpenter fan before I started college and then my tutor said we were going to be watching Halloween, I was happy as it was a Carpenter film I had not seen. We were sat in the drama room, all black walls, so it was very dark and a friend who was sat behind me would shake my by the shoulders every time the film made me jump so I got double the shock. I have loved this film ever since that day at college, I even made my mum go to HMV that night and buy Halloween on dvd. I have since managed to get my hands on the 4 disc collectors edition.



Fight Club
3. Fight Club

Fight Club was released in 1999. Directed by David Fincher and starring Brad Pitt and Edward Norton.

Fight Club tells the story of Edward Norton who meets stranger Brad Pitt on a plane and together they start Fight Club. A place for middle aged men to go and kick the crap out of each other, but soon Fight Club turns into Project Mayhem and Mayhem is just the start of what Norton/Pitt have planned.

It was, ironically, my sister who introduced me to Fight Club. I remember her telling me that it has an ending that will surprise me, and It most certainly did. Straight after the film finished I said "It's my new favorite film, it's better then Halloween.

It was Fight Club that introduced me to David Fincher, I believe I have since seen all of Fincher's films. I love the meaning behind Fight Club as well, what i says about modern man.

The Lion King

4. The Lion King

The Lion King was released in 1994. Directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff and starring Matthew Broderick, Jeremy Irons and Rowan Atkinson.

The Lion King tells the story of Simba as he battles his evil uncle for leadership over Pride Rock and all the animals who live among it.

This was the first film I can remember seeing. It still makes me smile today and brings back childhood memories of been sat on the floor watching this while playing with my lego and playmobil. I love Rowan Atkinson in this film. I love the songs, which I still find myself singing today and who can forget Timon and Pumbaa. Hakuna Matata...



5. Liar Liar


Liar Liar was released in 1997. Directed by Tom Shadyac and starring Jim Carrey, Jennifer Tilly and Maura Tierney.


Lair Liar sees Jim Carrey playing a lawyer. On his son's, Max, 5th birthday, Max wishes that his dad can't tell a lie for a single day... Let the Carrey madness commence. 

I have always been a Jim Carrey fan, especially when he teams up with comedy director Tom Shadyac. Personally I think this is Carrey's best performance in a film. 

"Oh Audrey" is one particular moment that always reduces me to tears with laughter every-time I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment