Friday 13 May 2011

Pierre Morel France's very own Action Man

Somewhere in France on the 12th May 1964, an action superstar was been born. I'm not talking about a French army general but Pierre Morel a french film director and cinematographer. 

As a cinematographer his list of credits include The Transporter, Unleashed and War. As a director, even though Pierre has only directed 3 films, his list of films are even more impressive. District 13, Taken and From Paris With Love.

I first came across Pierre without even knowing it when I was advised by a friend to buy the 2004 French action film District 13. I loved the film. The action was amazing, the dialogue was funny and the look of the film was just breathtaking. I still didn't release who Pierre was when my mother bought Liam Neeson's 2008 hit film Taken. Once again the film looked amazing. I still didn't notice who he was when I watched his last directed film, the 2010 action busted From Paris With Love staring John Travolta. It wasn't until I looked at the information on From Paris With Love that I realised who Pierre Morel was. 

The look of Pierre's film's are very distinctive. All of his films, including the one's he was cinematographer for, are all action packed but also very story driven.  This is an excellent skill to have as films are often in danger of been either too boring due to overuse of the story or too boring due to over use of the action, too much action may result in the story been woeful or there been no story at all. 

I think Pierre has found a niche in the market for action films, all his films are different but contain the Pierre look and feel. For a long time now action films have been missing a good storyteller in the directors chair, Pierre is more then capable of filling that chair. Story telling and action packed adrenaline fuelled sequence's go hand in hand in Pierre's films.

I'm glad I have discovered Pierre at the start of his directing career and I have not missed out on hours of fantastic film making.

I am very impressed with Pierre's work, as a huge horror fan I often find it hard to thoroughly enjoy a film of a different genre, but Pierre's films are different, there enjoyable, in a "Hollywood" filled action genre, they are the stand out films.

I am very excited by the news coming out of Cannes this year. Pierre Morel will be directing Overdrive. A story of two brothers who are expert car thieves that travel to the south of France and encounter a local tough crime boss.

If, in my film directing career, I decide to make a action film, I will defiantly be taking notes from Pierre.

No comments:

Post a Comment