Saturday 31 December 2011

Why Empire have annoyed me

Yesterday I bought myself Frank Darabont's The Mist on DVD. When I went to read the reviews on the back of the case, the one from Empire film magazine really annoyed me:

                                    "Tight, tense frightflick that has more  
                                      intelligente and originality than a thousand Saw's"

Really? I strongly disagree with this quote.

Saw is probably one of the most original films in recent times, especially in the horror genre. As for The Mist, its based on a Stephen King book, which means it is not an original film. The film also has many links to John Carpenter's The Fog which, if you strip down the film, is the same story, people are stuck because of the weather.

Empire gave The Mist 4 starts to accompany that quote. I went on the Empire website and found their review of Saw and guess what, they gave it 4 stars. Here is that review from Empire: http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=10234

Personally I think Saw is better then The Mist, I have not seen The Mist in a long time, thats why I bought it, but reading quotes like this that contradicts itself makes me angry.

Another reason why I don't read Empire....

No comments:

Post a Comment