Wednesday 4 January 2012

2011 - A year in Film

2011 was a year of ups and downs for the film industry. We had up's like The Artist but then we had down's like, anything Michael bay touched.

Top 10 films of 2011


1. The Artist
2. Take Shelter
3. Submarine
4. Black Swan
5. Super 8
6. Drive
7. The Kings Speech
8. True Grit
9. Fast 5
10. Bridesmaids.

THE ARTIST was my stand out film of the year, I love that, in the current Hollywood world we live in, where everything blows up and 3D is all the rage, its a silent black and white film that is generating all the Oscar buzz. TAKE SHELTER was a huge surprise when I saw it as I wasn't expecting anything great but I really enjoyed it. SUBMARINE was just brilliant. BLACK SWAN was the stand out film from the first few months that puts Portman in a career best role. SUPER 8 is a personal favourite of mine, I really enjoyed it as a blockbuster film and think Abrams is one of the best directors we have in the film world at the moment. DRIVE didn't impress me when I saw at all, but after reading the script and thinking about it, I realised I did actually like it a lot. THE KINGS SPEECH seem's to have disappeared from a lot of peoples mind's but I thought it was an excellent storytelling piece of film. TRUE GRIT also seems to have fallen into the abyss but again I thought it was exceptional with some brilliant acting. FAST 5 yes I know, it does say Fast 5 but the franchise is my guilty pleasure and personally I think this is the best one and finally BRIDESMAIDS, I liked it, wasn't brilliant but wasn't terrible but it did what it had to do and that was appeal to women in the same way THE HANGOVER appeals to men.

Films That Let Me Down in 2011


I saw a lot of films last year. Some where exceptional, some were worth watching but nothing special and then some were terrible. I will start with THE THING I wasn't expecting much from this but what was the point in making it, its basically the same as Carpenter's original but less exciting. This could also be said for THE HANGOVER 2 which I thought was a carbon copy of the first but in a different city. This theory can also be applied to PIRATES 4, I think the less said about that the better. A lot of people seemed to like CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER but I didn't. To me it seemed like a huge montage and I get the feeling it was only made to tie in with THE AVENGERS. A horror film now THE WARD was my hero's (John Carpenter) return to film making but sadly it was not a triumphant return and finally another film that everybody else seemed to like was RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES but sadly I didn't enjoy it, personally I found it extremely boring.

So that was 2011 what will 2012 hold for the film world? Below are a number of films I am looking forward to seeing:

The Dark Knight Rises
Gravity
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Avengers
Frankenweenie
The Amazing Spider-man
Taken 2
Man on a Ledge
The Women in Black
Dark Shadows
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
Les Miserables
Vehicle 19
Halloween 3
The Devil Inside
Lincoln
J.Edgar
Shame
Silent Hill 2
The Bourne Legacy
James Bond: Skyfall
The Innkeepers
Coriolanus

No comments:

Post a Comment